I like to finish each film with ‘Last messages’. I did it first with “Mr. Turtle Gets Sick”. I came up with the final thoughts myself. But this time around, I thought I’d ask the kids, and this is what they came up with..
The second-graders who made “Mr. Glump and the Poisonous Pond”:
- Algae is bad
- Fish can die
- clean the fish pond
- Do not pollute
- Don’t spray poison on your yard
- Keep things clean
- Protect fish
- If you have a question, go to the library and check it out
- Check out books
- Libraries are cool and teach you a bunch of things
- Keep reading.
Isn’t that lovely? There was a second class of second-graders who worked on this same film, but when it was their turn to offer final messages, they turned into holy terrors instead, so we skipped that part. And I condensed the first list into the following:
And then, in connection with “Handbook to taking care of the earth” (the kids came up with that title; I love that they thought to include a fancy word like ‘handbook’!), here are the final messages:
- We only have as much water as we have, so let’s take care of it
- Don’t pollute water
- Please don’t pollute
- We want to swim in nice, clean water
- Pay attention to class, don’t pay attention to things that don’t matter
- Pay attention to family and friends, and important things
- Ignore people talking about silly stuff
Isn’t that lovely all over again?